Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

200 Taliban suffer casualties in battle for Kohistan

Security & Crime

آرشيف

200 Taliban suffer casualties in battle for Kohistan

By
On
Jul 27, 2017 - 15:37

MAIMANA (Pajhwok): At least 200 Talibaninfo-icon insurgents suffered casualties during the battle for Lowlash, the centre of Kohistan district in northern Faryab province, officials said Thursday.

The rebels captured the Kohistan district center on July 20, besieging more than 60 personnel from the commandos unit, the army and police, but subsequent drone strikes and a major ground operation lasting two days pushed the insurgents back.

Brig. Gen. Amanullah Mubeen, commander of the 209th Shaheen Military Corps, said the air and ground operation was initiated in compliance with orders from the president and security officials.

He said as many as 200 Taliban suffered casualties and the rest fled. He said the rebels would no longer be able to resist the security forces and if did so they would receive the same response.

Gen. Mubeen assured the people and local officials of the district of improved security in the area and said the provincial government would launch development projects in the area.

Governor Mohammad Humayon Fawzi, who also visited Kohistan district and met security forces and public uprising members who had been besieged by the Taliban after the collapse of the district, praised them for retaking it.

Fawzi said those who fought for recapturing of the district would be honored, rewarded and promoted.

Gen. Amir Mohammad head of the 1st brigade of 209th Shaheen Military Corps, said the Kohistan road would be cleared and opened to Maimana City, the provincial capital,  to allow people to travel without any concern.

The security forces and public uprising members should be supported and never left alone, he stressed.

Abdul Basir Andrabi, commander of the commando unity in the northern zone, said they reached to the aid of the besieged forces and rescued them after killing dozens of Taliban.

A resident of the district, Qari Mohammadullah, said had the government taken such a strong action three years ago, the rebels would not have blocked the highway 10 months ago.

He urged the provincial leadership to quickly reopen the road so the people could solve their problems.

sa/ma

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update